HEADACHE DURING PREGNANCY
Headache during pregnancy are a very commonly reported complaint and may occur at any time of the day. However, headaches are quite common during the first and third trimester of pregnancy. During headaches during the first trimester; body experiences a surge of hormones progesterone that helps in relaxing the blood vessels present in our body including the head & neck. These two changes can cause more frequent headaches.It is usually not alarming unless accompanied by other symptoms.
Women experience different types of headaches during various trimesters from tension headaches to migraine and some alarming headache type like preeclampsia & eclampsia (occurs during 2nd or 3rd trimester of pregnancy- though a rare condition).
Headache during pregnancy may feel like a dull yet throbbing ache in the forehead, back of the head, or behind the eyes.
SYMPTOMS OF HEADACHE DURING PREGNANCY
Other common symptoms of headaches are:
- Low levels of sugar in the body (referred to as hypoglycemia)
- Lack of sleep
- High level of caffeine consumption
- Hormone level change
- Insufficient exercise
- Iron-deficiency anaemia
- Pregnancy-induced hypertension
Headaches are accompanied by blurry vision, sudden weight gain, pain in the upper right abdomen, and swelling in the hands and face.
DIAGNOSIS OF HEADACHE DURING PREGNANCY
Headaches during pregnancy are commonly diagnosed by a simple description of the symptoms. However, if the headache is accompanied by other symptoms and has not eased for a long duration, the doctor may conduct other tests to check for abnormalities like a CT scan, MRI, or CT Angiography.
TIPS TO AVOID HEADACHE DURING PREGNANCY
Following tips may help to avoid headache during pregnancy-
- Practice good posture (especially during the third trimester)
- Get plenty of rest and relaxation
- Exercise During Pregnancy
- Eat well-balanced meals
- Apply cold or heat packs to your head
If you are not able to prevent headaches, there are still steps you can take to help them go away. During pregnancy, you want to try and relieve your headache by natural means if possible.
COMMON HOME REMEDIES FOR HEADACHES DURING PREGNANCY
To prevent or relieve mild headaches during pregnancy without taking medication, try the following:
- Avoid headache triggers. If certain foods or odours have triggered a headache in the past, avoid them.
- Include physical activity in your daily routine. Try a daily walk or other moderate aerobic exercise.
- Manage stress. Find healthy ways to cope with stressors.
- Practice relaxation techniques. Try deep breathing, yoga, massage and visualisation.
- Eat regularly. Eating regularly scheduled meals and maintaining a healthy diet might help prevent headaches. Adding the nutritious fruits and veggies to your diet would definitely help you in staying hydrated all day long: cucumber, celery, radishes, cabbage, cauliflower, eggplant, spinach, watermelon, grapefruits, oranges, etc.
- Follow a regular sleep schedule. Sleep deprivation might contribute to headaches during pregnancy.
- Water is the most essential component of body and dehydration can leave us with killer headaches. Avoid drinks which dehydrate the body such as sugary drinks.
NATURAL PRODUCTS USEFUL TO REDUCE HEADACHE DURING PREGNANCY
It helps in easing the pain by reducing inflammation in the blood vessels located in the head region.
It is a miracle spice which has various uses. It can effectively treat headaches. You can apply a thick paste of water mixed with cinnamon powder on your forehead to get instant relief.
It is one of the most successful home remedies to treat headaches. You can increase your daily magnesium intake by consuming magnesium rich foods such as meat, chocolate, beans, seeds, coffee, etc.
Peppermint & Lavender Essential Oil
They help in relieving headaches with the help of their soothing and numbing effect.
Head and neck exercises help in reducing the intensity of headache.
It’s cooling and pain-relieving properties are used to ease a throbbing headache. Inhaling the smell of the crushed cloves relieves the pain.
Herbs are used for treating almost all the ailments without any side effects. Basil is a strong-scented herb which can be used as a treatment for headaches.
An apple a day keeps a doctor away. Both apple cider vinegar and apples are used to get relief from headaches. They help in restoring the pH levels of the body.
Consult your doctor before trying out any home remedies. Do not take any medication before consulting the doctor. The doctor might advise painkillers that are safe to be consumed during pregnancy, or blood pressure lowering medicines.
Have a safe pregnancy.